Day 11: Network success and an interesting lecture

I started today debugging my code for my neural network. After a healthy amount of googling and some perseverance I was able to roughly train and evaluate my model. The performance was subpar but hopefully I will be able to improve that next week. When that was over I went to the free pizza lunch provided for all of the REU summer research students and I then attended a lecture on visual perception. Although this was not very related to my project I still found it to be a valuable use of my time. It was extremely mind-blowing to realize that our eyes can only see details in a very small field of vision. Our peripheral vision is a lot worse than I previously thought. One of the coolest visual demos was these two tables shown below. Believe it or not the tabletops are exactly the same size and shape. Human visual perception is fascinating and I plan to continue attending the lectures throughout the summer.



Table Size Illusion
Source: http://www.optical-illusionist.com/illusions/table-size-illusion

Comments

  1. This is really, really cool Michael! I'm so proud of you honey:)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Day 26: Polishing my presentation